Thursday, June 19, 2008

This makes me sad

I have trouble writing scenes of sadness. At least, I think I do. I mean, nobody has ever come up to me and said, "Wow, that funeral scene left me laughing out loud!" or anything like that. But then, no one's ever come up to me in tears either.

I wonder if the problem is that I'm just not likely to be emotionally affected by something sorrowful I've written? Because it's too familiar? Maybe, but I don't have any problems chuckling at funny bits I'm re-reading for the nth time.

Funny, I can do. Drama; elegant, flowy narration or dialogue. Exciting scenes, most of the time. Sex scenes, the few times it's been needed. Probably my expectation of my own reactions are too high for a good sad scene.

And possibly I know Superwife would think I'm a nut if she saw me blubbering at the keyboard.

No comments: